Thursday, August 20, 2009

Two Recipes +

Above are players in my new summer love. GRANOLA

I have found this recipe to be the best and easy. One unfortunate discovery: granola is good with chocolate chips! just layer chips~granola~chips~granola, etc. in a little cup, take it to sewing room with you and 'drink' this yummy little snack all lazy summer afternoon long...oh dear.

Granola
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup slivered or sliced almonds
1 cup other desired nuts, coarsely broken
(I use whole raw almonds and walnuts. cashews are good too, peanuts can be over powering.)
3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
1/4 cup plus 2 T. brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 T. maple syrup
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 t. salt
1 cup raisins (optional)
Preheat overn to 250.
In large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar. In seperate small bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. (This takes a bit of whisking to get them to hold together.) Combine both mixtures and pour onto 1 large sheet pan. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes. I stir it a little about halfway through, just gently. Don't let it get too dark. Remove from oven and add raisins. Store in a cute jar that you picked up at IKEA or wherever. This can be doubled. Also, other dried fruits are excellent in it. The best breakfast is a plain yogurt parfait with fresh fruit and this granola. MMMMM! Thanks Albeq. New Mexico sister-in-law for this recipe.
Next:

Lasagna
1/2 to 1 lb. hamburger, brown with some onion
Mix in blender:
2 cups tomatoes
1 can tomato paste (small)
1 pkg. spaghetti seasoning
1 can (t. paste) water
Add this blended mixture to browned meat. Let simmer a few minutes.
Mix:
2 1/2 cups cottage cheese
1 egg
2 generous cups grated mozarella cheese
Layer in 9x13 pan:
one third of meat mixture, place dry lasagna noodles over meat, spoon on half of the cheese mixture and repeat with meat, noodles and cheese. Place remaining amount of meat on top. Cover and bake in 350 degree oven for 1 1/4 hours. Sprinkle a little more grated mozarella on top and place back in oven for 10 mins. uncovered. Enjoy. Family friendly and easy! Thanks to young running partner for this recipe.

I was planning to include a yummy Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe, but I'm tired!
I found directions for this Colored Pencil Roll in a book! It was pretty fun to make. I was a nice aunt and gave it to my nephew. It's good to have little friends...gotta score points with them when they are young, then when they get old and rich...they'll give you their money.
Take Care~~

10 comments:

terence yap said...

Thanks for the recipes!

*smiles*

Thimbleanna said...

Yum! I've never made granola, but I've been thinking about trying to make it. Your recipe looks really good -- thanks for posting!

Allie said...

If I cooked I'd try this! LOL to your comment about being nice to them when they're young - that's what I'm hoping for, lol!!!!!!! Love the pencil roll!

Nedra said...

I make my own granola all the time, but I've never added chocolate chips. That could be dangerous!

Nanette Merrill said...

Don't you love a new recipe that works great for you.

Judy said...

The recipes look good Diane.

Nancy said...

This granola really is the BEST... EVER. I need to make some. It sounds so good right now. Mom you would put chocolate chips in everything, in fact I'm surprised they aren't in the lasagna!

amber_waves said...

What? If you're nice to little kids they give you money later? Why have I never heard about this phenomenon?

randi said...

I LOVE granola! Every morning it makes an appearance on my bowl of yogurt. Yum!

karen c. said...

Yummo, yummo granola. Gotta get the ingredients for me. I think I will add chocolate chips to the shopping list, since I don't think I have any. In fact, it disappeared before I even got a chance to look.